St Mary & St Sexburga (Minster Abbey)
Minster on Sea
Minster Abbey, or to give it it's full name, The Abbey Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Sexburgha,is a Grade 1 listed building
and National Monument which was founded in 664AD by Queen Sexburga.
Having been badly damaged in the 9th century it was rebuilt in the 12th century with an unusual arrangement
of two adjacent “churches”, the Northern Church being for the nuns and the Southern Church for parishioners
It also houses the famous de Northwode brasses dating from 1330
and an interesting array of monuments dating from the 14th to the 16th century.
The west tower was added in the 15th century and contains a ring of six bells.
We endeavour to keep the Abbey open between 10:00am and 3:00pm.
The original Abbey Gatehouse, close to the church, is now an interesting local museum