Five simple steps to arranging a Baptism…
1. Collect a Baptism pack from one of the West Sheppey Churches, or ring us to arrange for one to be emailed to you.
2. Carefully read through the information, paying particular attention to the dates and times of Baptisms in your
3. Return the completed application form to either one of our Churchwardens during a Sunday morning service or
email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team will contact you to arrange a date for the Baptism and
4. We recommend you attend one of our Sunday morning services a minimum of fours times (these do not need to be c
consecutive), prior to the baptism taking place. This will help to familiarise yourself with the worship and get to
know our friendly congregation.
5. Attend the Baptism preparation meeting.
Following these steps will ensure arrangements for the Baptism are as straightforward as possible.
The West Sheppey Churches of Minster Abbey;
Holy Trinity Church, Queenborough and
Holy Trinity Church, Sheerness.
- Baptism, often referred to as Christening, is a sacrament, a visible sign of a new beginning, where we thank God for his gift of life and publicly acknowledge his love. In the Church of England, it’s common to baptise children as well as adults. Jesus himself was baptised in the river Jordan and asked his followers to continue this tradition. This note forms the current policy regarding baptisms within the churches set out above that form West Sheppey Benefice.
- Following initial contact by the family, they will be invited to attend a Church Service to collect a West Sheppey Churches Baptism Pack. This can also be emailed on request.
- The Pack will comprise one each of:
- Baptism Application Form
- Data Protection Consent Form
- Baptism Leaflet
- Thanksgiving Leaflet
- The Role of Godparents Leaflet
- West Sheppey Churches Baptism Policy
- We recommend families attend a minimum of four Sunday services prior to the baptism taking place. This will enable them to familiarise themselves with the congregation, style of worship and ensure they have chosen the right church to begin their journey of faith in. We strongly encourage, where possible, that both parents attend these services alongside Godparents and anyone else who will play an important role in the child’s upbringing.
- Once the application form is completed it needs to be either handed to a churchwarden during a Sunday morning service or emailed to email@example.com. They will then be contacted to arrange a date for the baptism, which will be held in one of our Sunday morning services as follows:
- Holy Trinity Church, Sheerness at 9:30am on the 2nd Sunday
- Holy Trinity Church, Queenborough at 11am on the 4th Sunday
- Minster Abbey at 11am on the 1st Sunday
NB. Baptisms will not be held during January, December, Easter or Remembrance Sunday except by prior arrangement
- Prior to the Baptism taking place the family, and if possible the Godparents, will be invited to attend a short Baptism preparation meeting. This is an opportunity to discuss the details of the service and the promises being made, plus have any questions answered. This will usually take place during a Saturday morning or afternoon for a maximum of one and a half hours. You’ll be asked to join us either at the Vicarage or in one of the West Sheppey Churches.
- Whilst there is no requirement for parents to be baptised, Canon Law (B23) requires Godparents to be baptised as a minimum. Where parents nominate an un-baptised person as Godparent, they will need to be baptised either before, or on the same day as, the child.
- West Sheppey PCC acknowledges, in line with Canon Law (B21), there is a prima-facie expectation those requesting Baptism will attend church services, and that Baptism will take place in the main Sunday Service.
- Where a family request a Thanksgiving for their child in preference to a baptism, such service will be conducted in line with this policy.