Skip to main content

Holy Trinity Sheerness

(with St Paul’s Church)

About the Church

Holy Trinity Church Sheerness was built around 1367

Holy Trinity Sheerness was one of twenty churches built in the ten year period between 1832 and 1841. It was built on land donated by Sir Edward Banks with the foundation stone laid on 1st September 1835. Dedicated by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, Archbishop Howley, on 30th August 1836; it was initially a chapel of ease for Minster Abbey and only became parochial in 1873.

In the early 1960s St Paul’s Church in Blue Town was demolished and the congregation, after a brief spell at the Dockyard Church and then a hall type church in St George’s Avenue, merged with Holy Trinity Sheerness. Since this time we have been known as Holy Trinity with St Paul, Sheerness.

Holy Trinity Queenborough Church Tower
Holy Trinity Church Sheerness Tower
Inside Holy Trinity Queenborough
Inside Holy Trinity Church Sheerness
Holy Trinity Church Sheerness was built around 1367

The church is unusual as a result of not having a long chancel as was the norm in Victorian times. The architect Robert Wheeler had drawn up plans for one, which were in existence in 1885. It is likely, therefore, that at this time reseating took place with the introduction of the present open seats with their shaped ends. The panelling on either side of the door at the west end of the church and the altar were once part of the Royal Dockyard Church in Sheerness.

Attached to the church is the church hall, which is used by the uniformed organisations for their weekly meetings and by many other organisations for fundraising events.

Holy Trinity Sheerness Gallery